Monday, November 21, 2011

First Refurbish Part 1

    I've seen some amazing refurbished furniture here in blog land.  I have been inspired!  Here is the first of my refurbishing a desk and also the first post of many about a BIG project I'm working on.  I'm calling it my "Craft Corner"....lame; I know....sorry!  I've seen a lot of adorable project or craft nooks and I too am working on my own.  My husband and I own a three bedroom, two bath ranch style house.  We have a 19 month old and I babysit for a living....we DO NOT have extra space for my craft supplies.  We have lived in this home for almost 4 years now and all of my supplies have been residing in a few totes in the attic so whenever I got the itch I would go up and get what I needed but this didn't happen often b/c I didn't feel like going up to the attic to drag stuff out and then have to clean it up and drag it all back up.  Here recently I've been wanting to really dig into my crafts and geez have I been so inspired daily in blog land.  I must have my own space to work!!!  So I have assigned myself a corner in our bedroom....some rearranging and reorganizing had to be done but I think it's going to work.  I bought a cheap short book shelf and then was in search for a desk. 

I found one....FOR FREE!

I was so excited!  Yes it needed work but I was willing to do it because I've seen some awesome refurbish projects in blog land and now I must try my hand at it and what is better than a FREE desk for my space!? 

Well for starters a desk that is real wood would help!
Refurbish *fail*

See I went to a yard sale where they had this desk and they were getting rid of it for FREE and since I was looking for a desk to refurbish for my craft area and it was indeed FREE I was on it like white on rice!  I ran home, had Mike go pick it up w/ his truck and take it to my dads b/c we don't have a garage for me to work on it.  Dad was out of town but he came home and told me....it wasn't worth doing work to b/c it wasn't real wood.  Heck if I know what I'm looking at when it comes to wood....I have SO MUCH to learn!

So my lovely dad knowing that I'm in search for a desk loves to go to Peddlars Malls and browse; found me a beauty!


It needed a little glue in 1 or 2 places and dad took care of that but it was a wopping $30.  Okay not FREE but I love it! 
Now dad is less than thrilled b/c....I'm painting it!  All the furniture in my room is black and it is going to fit right in and be the PERFECT desk for my crafts and super excited about the layout for sewing! 

    So I'm posting about this today b/c I finally got started today.  I didn't get a whole lot done; my goal was to get her ready to sand.  So I cleaned her up w/ soap and water and then the "real" cleaning as dad called it.  I think he said it was degreaser...but I know he said it would get rid of any waxy buildup.  Question...."is this going to mess up my nails?"  Dad: "Um probably, I don't really think about that sort of thing"....so gloves it is no biggie!  I'm really not so shallow but when you pay for nails you kind of don't want them messed up 3 days later...I usually wait until a couple of days before I go back before messing them up b/c they will get fixed.    But it doesn't matter b/c dad decided he would just do it himself b/c he is already working on a desk for my stepmom.  Okay...yeah....don't make fun.  I was totally willing to do it but it was getting close to Gregory's bedtime and I was going to need to leave anyways so it would of had to wait until I got there again but this way it will be ready to sand next time....just like I wanted.  Isn't my daddy the best!?  Reference here!  I'm really excited about this project and we brainstormed a couple more while we were at it!  I can't wait to show you what she looks like in the end!


Inspired by Blog Land





No comments:

Post a Comment