Thursday, January 26, 2012

Applique Pillowcase

So as stated before I have been super busy with Gregory's birthday coming up in just over 2 months now.  Today I'm going to show you birthday gift #1 that I have completed.  I'm so excited to share with you a pillowcase I made to go with the bedroom linens I'm making for Gregory.  I'm still not sure at what point he is supposed to move up to a toddler bed but hey...the crib is the same size so he can start useing them whenever!  I showed you where I made Gregory a pillow and pillowcase with matching fleece blanket for Gregory for Christmas here.  Well this pillowcase will fit that pillow.  I had not done an Applique before this Applique Pillowcase but I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was....I made it into a scarey monster in my head!!!

So here we go......

I made this pillowcase at the same time I made the Mickey Mouse fabric pillowcase...which was in like September or something so I wasn't blogging then and made a mistake....  which was making it before I did the Applique I planned to do on it.  Oh well...this story does have a happy ending anyways!

Unlike some of you lucky ducks I do not have any fancy gadgets like cricuts.  I have a computer w/ a printer...so I printed out the letters + some extras that I was going to need to spell out "Gregory" onto cardstock paper.

I pulled out my awesome Xacto knife kit my hubby got me for Christmas and cut the letters out of the cardstock.

Because this was my first Applique I was scared I would mess up the pillowcase if I tried to put the letters directly onto the pillowcase...this fear was a lot in part to the fact that I realized I should have done the Applique before putting the pillowcase together and b/c in my mind Appliques were super scarey anyways!  So I decided to take a piece of the Mickey Mouse fabric and putting the applique onto it and then putting that onto the pillowcase.  In hindsight I made things more difficult by doing this.  I should have just put the Applique directly onto the pillowcase b/c it was so easy but then again...it turns out pretty good in the end!

Anyways...I traced the cardstock letters onto the white fabric I was useing to do the Appliques and then cut those out w/ scissors....I tried to use the xacto knife to do this but scissors worked better w/ the fabric.

I put iron on adhesive on the letters and then ironed them onto the Mickey fabric....

I started sewing w/ a zigzag

After I got all the letter appliques on I then placed the fabric onto the pillowcase

The end result!  I'm so happy with it!  I did run into some issues sewing the square piece onto the pillowcase...couldn't make certain turns.  But I think it all worked out in the end!  It's going to look great!



Inspired by Gregory's 2nd Birthday!


Parties I'm Attending:

Homemaker on a Dime: Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop

More the Merrier Monday


Manic Monday

Make the Scene Monday

The Bunny Hop

The Creative Spark

Beyond the Picket Fence

Gluesticks: Get Your Brag On

10 comments:

  1. that looks great!! my kids actually learned how to spell by seeing words repeatedly..like on a soap dispenser it says soap..on one of the mantels it says faith..so Gregoey may be spelling his name soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is exactly why I put his full name on this and on some other things. I was toying with just doing his initials and realized....he needs to see his name not his initials!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! I'll have to try this for Logan's room! I'd love it if you stopped by my linky party and link up one of your favorite posts! www.serendipityandspice.blogspot.com
    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very effective!! Love the way the name is the same colour as the pillowcase.. ties it all together. I would love for you to share this at my ongoing linky that's for pillows and cushions...
    http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2012/01/threading-your-way-pillows-and-cushions.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks good! What a thoughtful and cute gift!

    ReplyDelete