Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A Little Fall Decorating

    As we've seen posted on so many blogs; fall has some of the most beautiful colors of all the seasons.  Of course Spring has many bright flowers that we are all super ready for after a long winter but fall....the colors are so warm.  I've seen so many beautiful decorating ideas for fall here in blogland and to be honest although I do have fall decorations here and there in my house I never thought too much of decorating a shelf or in some cases a mantel (which I don't have).  Just as I'm a newbie to blogland, this would mean I'm a newbie at decorating a shelf.  I decided my shelf could be on my hutch in my kitchen...it's pretty plain anyways.  So for the past couple of days I've come up with a few different designs and have settled on one I really like but will be sharing all three of them with you today.  You tell me which one you like the best!





    I do like this setup, I must admit.  It honestly cost me nothing...this year!  The metal bucket I had ordered from a company called LTD years ago.  It's actually a boot bucket and has a snowman on the other side but the color is so rich that turned around you can't tell it's meant for winter and I think makes a beautiful fall bucket.  But this usually sits under an end table right next to my front door and in the fall I put the silk flowers and leaves you see in this picture in the bucket and they peek out as you enter our front door.  I bought the flowers at Walmart years ago.  The small pumpkin is a cloth pumpkin I got two years ago at a fall baby shower.  The two larger pumpkins are glass pumpkins I bought at Hobby Lobby years ago.  I think it makes a nice piece, however on my hutch, I think it looks too bulky and these pieces had previous spots around my home that I rather liked!




    Because I found the piece to bulky before I tried the setup with out the bucket and it didn't pop for me.  And still these pieces would look better in their original spots.




     This is my favorite design so this is the one I decided to keep.  In my previous designs I had forgotten that I had bought some mini pumpkins and mini gourds on our trip to the pumpkin patch this year.  All the gourds you see in this picture cost me $2....(sale was 3 for $1).  I LOVE tiny pumpkins they are just adorable and gourds fascinate me as no two are exactly alike....there is always a difference no matter how small or large the difference....they are neat!  This design has all the things that make me think "fall"...of course colors....deep and rich colors, pumpkins, gourds, leaves (falling leaves) which I already had as shown in my previous designs, I included my cloth pumpkin, a candle....no matter what season a scent can bring it home and this candle in this picture has such a rich color; the scent is Redwood (A tree!  Of course I think of trees in fall!) (the candle is a Woodwick Candle; if you have never had one go get one.......now, they are awesome!).  Everything is designed on top of and around what looks like a cake stand but is actually part of a candle centerpiece I had bought again...years ago
I also put a couple of the rocks that came with this around my gourds to fill the blank space.  Lastly but so important, the little bowl that I just pulled out of my cabinet contains fall colored M&Ms...mmmm my favorite!


So as a newbie at the shelf decorating did I do okay?  Total cost this year for this piece was less than $5.....$2 for pumpkins and gourds and $2.50 for M&Ms!


Inspired by All of your awesome decorated mantels and shelves

Linking up to the following parties, thank you ladies for allowing me to link up!





Beyond The Picket Fence
Photobucket























10 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie, I am so glad you made it back to the party this week.

    Hutches make great backdrops for so many vignettes. I no longer have a mantel, so I use my hutch in place of one.

    I love fall colors too, and you have certainly added to the season. Those little pumpkins are so cute with those long stems, that really adds to their character. I really love those M&M's!

    I like both vignettes in the picture but as you mentioned perhaps the last one is more in proportion with the hutch.

    xoxo Bunny Jean
    Wednesday's Bunny Hop Party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bunny for your thoughts and support! I plan to come back to your parties often and hopefully just get better and better with my posts! I'm pretty proud of this one for being a first timer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your fall decorating looks lovely. I had to finally surrender to fall today as I had to turn on the heat. I am a spring and summer girl. Oh well, it gives me something to look forward too! I am very excited to decorate for Christmas! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I also love the color of my bedroom--it is called Charade I believe. It is very calming. The baby pictures are of my twin sons who turn 12 on Saturday. Time Flies! Good luck with your blogging:) I am going to follow you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shabby chic Sandy I too am a summer girl....total beach bunny...well when we vacation to the beach! But I could lay out in the sun every day all day! Altho I am pretty excited for Christmas this year....my son should enjoy it a lot more than he did last year plus it is my favorite holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like all 3 set-ups, they are festively fall in their own ways! Without getting to see a full view of the hutch it's hard to give a fair assessment on which design works best for the space but I'm sure each idea could fit somewhere nicely in your home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great newbie. :) You did an awsome job and I love when you can pull from around the house and spend very little money, if any at all. Useing what you have makes you pull from your inter creativity and you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did great! Great using that bucket by just turning it around...getting more life that way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks great! I'd love to see the whole picture!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Kelli I could totally post a picture of my hutch in full but it is not fabulous. I mean the hutch is really nice but the decore is not all that great. It's just one small section that is fall decorated too.

    ReplyDelete